Rant of the Day: I hope I Learn to Get Over Myself
Have you ever felt trapped by the choices of others? It’s a common sensation that we might not be consciously aware of, being so influenced by external decisions that you lose sight of your path. Lately, I’ve been reflecting on how easily we can morph into versions of ourselves that we don’t even like, " alter egos" psychologists call it.I’ve reflected on how this subconscious shift can hinder my growth and relationships. My hope? To learn how to get over myself.
The Weight of External Choices
It’s fascinating how we can become so bound by the choices others make: friends, family, and society at large. We often find ourselves caught in a web of expectations that can lead us to question our own desires and values. “How come we’ve become a version of a person we don’t even like?” This question resonates deeply with me. The pressure to conform can be overwhelming, and in the process, we sometimes lose the essence of who we are.As we grow older, the world tends to weigh us down with its expectations. We become enamored with the idea of success, often defined by societal standards, and forget the simple joys that once filled our lives. When I was a child, everything felt magical, and I soaked up the world with wonder. Now, it seems that the adult world has replaced that curiosity with a thirst for validation and material pleasures; “Now I only soak up wine.”
The Pursuit of Balance
Society often tells us that to achieve balance, we must work hard, play hard, and sacrifice our time and energy. Yet, I can’t help but wonder: “Who is truly satisfied?” I feel like I am caught in a cycle of striving and never feeling quite enough. This pursuit of balance often feels like a mirage, always out of reach, leaving me disillusioned and exhausted.
In these moments of reflection, I find myself obsessing and ranting over things I can’t control; opinions, judgments, and the ever-changing landscape of life. Why do we seek approval from people we don’t even know? It’s a question that haunts many of us. In the chaos of modern life, we often cling to superficial validations instead of seeking deeper, more meaningful connections.
Finding Foot in the Chaotic World
As I navigate these turbulent times, I hope to find something I can truly cling to; something real and substantial. I need to learn that it’s okay to step away from the chaos and take time for introspection...but how do I do that?I start my year with resolutions and hope to make the most out of the year, but this year 2025, I want to challenge myself to embrace authenticity by facing my "inner demons". This means confronting the traumas and experiences that have shaped my thoughts and behaviors. Instead of suppressing these feelings, I aim to make peace with them, understanding their influence on my present self.
I hope to be mindful by taking moments each day to pause and reflect, allowing myself to feel without judgment.
I hope to practice consistent journaling; Writing down my thoughts and feelings to gain clarity and identify what truly matters to me.
I hope to partially disconnect from Social Media hoping that reducing my exposure to the curated lives of others will help me focus on my path rather than comparing myself to theirs.
I am a Work in Progress
I am a work in progress, and while I have a long way to go, I’m hopeful. My journey to get over myself is about embracing my true self, free from the weight of others’ expectations. I hope to cultivate a life filled with genuine experiences and connections, where I can love and appreciate the world for what it is, rather than what others want it to be.The first step in my journey is embracing my thoughts and feelings...I really hope to get over myself.
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment